Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:53:34 +0200

Am 18.09.2013 11:31, schrieb Pirmin Braun:
> If there is one around, that suites our case, I'd be glad to use it.

There's the Creative Commons -NC:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

I use it in combination with paid contracts for commercial use for open
source hardware. The result is mixed, but not entirely bad. Open source
evangelists detect it as "not open source" which sometimes leads to
entertaining statements, like "being able to download sources freely
isn't open source".

Other than that I think all the FOSS communities start to realize
monetary compensation is neccessary for open source developers. With
hardware OS even more than with software OS, because with hardware you
can make big money by just manufacturing open designs.

You're right, depending on volunteers and a good name no longer works.
Volunteers regularly shy away from the tedious tasks and you can also
reach a good name by just copying designs of others. Users see and
remember the name of the shop / web site they downloaded a software from
or bought a hardware, not the name of the developer.

Despite some flaming from the evangelists, I'm satisfied with my -NC
choice. It's a good (the currently best?) compromise between being open
and the neccessity to pay the real world bills. Many DIYers copy the
design, still it shows up in my own shop and shops which pay me a fee,
only. Reputation is apparently good.

Markus

P.S.: It's been like 5 years since my last post to GNUstep lists.
Darling sparked my interest in following here again.

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter