Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License

From: Pirmin Braun
Subject: Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:39:01 +0200

Am Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:25:06 +0200
schrieb Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> :

> Hi,
>
> Pirmin Braun wrote:
> > we plan to license the upcoming IntarS 7 under this license.
> > What do you think about it?
> I'm not an expert, but I to feel like it will not work, that is, not be
> considered a OS licese.

right, it's not OSI compliant.

> Have you checked OSI licenses? The last time I looked for a suitable
> license, I was already puzzled by how difficult it was to effectively
> "dual license" between commercial and non-c. users. Look at the maze
> here: http://opensource.org/

yes, we've spent quite some effort to find an appropiate license. But our
intended business model is clearly not meant to be OSI compliant.
And we don't want open Core or dual license.

> I would directly write OSI or even the FSF for the needs you haev, to
> see if there is a way to incorporate them.
done.

> I think that it is nice to have such enterprise software open-sourced,
> however I think it is quite bad publicity if a "bad" or "fake"
> open-source license gets used (wthink of the original Apple and Sun
> licenses) because it may anger many and give space to critique.

so a different name would be ok?

--
Pirmin Braun - IntarS Unternehmenssoftware GmbH - Am Hofbräuhaus 1 - 96450
Coburg