Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 13:05:14 +0200

Hi,

"Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) MMath (Cantab) PhD (Cantab) FTICA" wrote:
I use 10.6. I know what 10.7 and 10.8 are like and I will never upgrade. I
think they are a load of rubbish. I tolerate Mac OS X because it has been the
most compatible current O.S. to NeXTstep, but in my view in each release it
just keeps retrogressing from NeXTstep. My next laptop will run Linux or *BSD.
YMMV.

I totally agree with what I have seen of 10.8 . But that is the "future" of computing for major companies who now get their money from phones and tablets. Windows 8 is an incredible pile of rubbish interface-wise (I thus strongly disagree with somebody here that wrote he likes metro). One of the many things who shows that an advanced desktop/laptop/workstation user is not the target anymore: Insert a key and then you get a message "touch here to explore the contents". Sorry. I may just "click" with a mouse. Windows 7 wasn't bad, Windows 8 improved actually performance of certain core parts, but the user interface is an incredible set-back (not saying 7 was nice, but it works. 7 for me is the second-best windows after Win2000).

10.8 is a ruined OS and an inconsistent interface, but the path to getting to it was longer and started in the 10.3/10.4 aera and was more gradual.

Anyway, this would be one of my ultimate goals for gnustep (well, it will never happen, but that is my direction). Being able to use it on my laptop and on my workstation to use daily apps (email, chat), to draw, maintain a website and especially to develop! And if I can then run the developed app on my U1 Ultrasparc server, that would be even added bonus ;)

In other words: seeing where Windows 8 and 10.8 are going, how the "google apps" look and work (and how Unity and other modern desktops mimick), my only faith in usable computer stuff is GNUstep. That's why I put so much energy in it.

Perhaps at the end we have then similar desires.

Riccardo