Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 10:49:29 +0100

On 9 Aug 2013, at 09:56, Pirmin Braun <pb@intars.de> wrote:

> I think, adding a GNUStep Framework to build fancy, industrial-strength, high
> performance/small footprint Web Apps in no time would boost interest. Once
> there was WebObjects. Now there is IntarS and I'd be happy to contribute.
> Have a look:
> http://pirmin.de/GSWeb/Aprica3000230.woa/?pw=root&loginname=Administrator
> Anybody interested to help? Since we're a commercial Open Source company,
> there is also money available.

I would be very interested in a good, modern, web framework for GNUstep,
especially one that could integrate nicely with EtoileUI.  One thing that we've
talked about a lot, which is now more of an interesting market, is the ability
for desktop apps to expose web UIs easily.  For example, I find it really
useful that VLC provides a web interface, so I can control it from my tablet or
phone.  Now that tablets are more common, it would be very nice if several of
my desktop apps could expose a version of their UI on the local network
(authentication required, of course) and allow me to use them from any machine
in my house.  It would also be nice to trivially expose scripting events as web
service APIs, so that you could use them as the back end for a web app written
in another language, or just expose them on the local machine and use
JavaScript in your web browser as your desktop scripting language.

David