Re: OS's menu?

From: Abhi Beckert
Subject: Re: OS's menu?
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 08:31:31 +1000

On 31 Jul 2013, at 6:23 pm, Lundberg, Johannes <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

For me the floating menu is quite awkward and doesn't go well together with any modern OS of today. It takes up space on the desktop and won't let you maximize your window without hiding the menu.

In my opinion all menus in every environment are awkward and a total waste of space. On my mac I almost never use menus except as a way to search for a feature in a program I don't know how to use. Most of the time I use it by typing into the search box in the help menu, then once I know the keyboard shortcut I escape out of it and use that.

I like the approach some modern Windows apps use (IE 10 for example) of burying menus in a single icon in the window toolbar, or only showing the menu when you tap the Alt key.

Even is how menus behave in full screen mode on OS X, it's too bad full screen is totally useless for other reasons. I wish Apple made this menu behaviour available in window mode (for those who haven't used it, you touch the mouse to the top edge of the display to show the menu bar, and sometimes the toolbar will also expand to something larger with more more buttons). Windows Metro also has a pretty decent approach towards showing menus, although I find the gestures a bit awkward.

- Abhi