Reasons for building NSTextView programatically (was: How to compile for

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Reasons for building NSTextView programatically (was: How to compile for NSTextViewDelegate)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:06:53 +0100

On 28. 2. 2013., at 03:26, Abhi Beckert <abhi-l@abhibeckert.com> wrote:

PS: Even in Xcode/Cocoa I have had more luck creating NSTextView's programatically than with interface builder. It's a complicated system and there are a lot of edge case bugs/performance bottlenecks unless you create the whole system programatically  (Apple has a very good guide, I think titled "creating the text system programatically").

Can you describe issues / list some reasons for creating the system programmatically? What bugs and bottlenecks did you encounter? (Right now I'm more interested in Cocoa, but perhaps they apply to GNUstep as well.)

Skimming over Apple docs[1][2] which seem to be what you referred to, and in which I didn't see a description of issues that may suggest one needs to create the objects manually?

 [1]: http://developer.apple.com/library/Mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/TextUILayer/Tasks/CreateTextViewProg.html
 [2]: http://developer.apple.com/library/Mac/#documentation/TextFonts/Conceptual/CocoaTextArchitecture/TextSystemArchitecture/ArchitectureOverview.html