GNUstep github mirror status...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: GNUstep github mirror status...
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:19:04 -0500

Guys,

I have succeeded in creating a github mirror which is synchronized
with the latest changes in the repository.

Currently we have multiple redundancy...

*  I have an SVN mirror, read only... which is being updated every 5
minutes so that the local mirror on my machine here is always up to
date.  This includes any and all branches etc.   The process is run in
a cron job which executes svnsync every five minutes to make certain
everything is as up to date as possible.

*  I have a mirror on github at the following URL
https://github.com/gnustep the separate repositories for each of the
major portions of GNUstep will be put on here as I make mirrors of
each on my server.

As of now the changes flow one way from the SVN master on GNA to the
github mirror.   The plan, however, is to be able to commit to the git
repository and have it appear in the SVN repository for people who are
authorized committers.

Originally, I tried to do a clone of the *ENTIRE* repository into git,
that took 27 hours and the result was not useable.  I then cloned each
individual library into it's own repository (since they are, indeed,
set up as individual svn repositories on our svn server... this became
trivial and it didn't take long at all).

So now our git repository has all of the history and is small and
manageable so that we can use it without sacrificing any information
about branches or any history at all.   In spite of this git keeps the
downloaded repository for each developer to a relatively small size.

I am planning on making the changes necessary to make the flow from
git to svn work correctly over the next couple of days.

I now feel confident that, in the event of failure of GNA we would
have no problem recovering in a matter of minutes given the multiple
redundancy I've implemented.

Please let me know if you have any questions/comments.

Thanks, GC
--
Gregory Casamento
(240)274-9630 (Cell)