Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:37:57 -0400

    LLVM has been great for the GCC community.  It forced them to get
    competitive.  The whole open source community benefits from faster
    compilers and choice.

Please keep in mind that this project is not about "open source".
GNU is part of the free software movement, whose goal is that software
respect the freedom of its users.  Supporters of open source don't
agree with that goal.

Faster compilation are a practical benefit.  However, the availability
of LLVM enables companies such as Apple to distribute nonfree modified
versions, and that is a step backward.

    From another perspective, the FSF forced the LLVM move because of
    the change in license.

In a conflict, every action is a response to previous actions.

Apple responded to the part of GPLv3 which bans certain mistreatment
of the users, because Apple wanted to mistreat its users in that way.

I put that text in GPLv3 as a response to other companies such as Tivo
which were already doing this.

Tivo did this as a response to the failure of GPLv2 to block
tivoization.  But its motive was to restrict the users.

Each action is a response to previous actions, but whether an action
is right or wrong is another question.

                            I'm indifferent, but I find that many of
    my users are strongly opposed to the GPLv3.

Why are they opposed to it?  Is it because of the part that bans
tivoization?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation