Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: Gerold Rupprecht
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 16:55:00 +0200

Hello,

Despite the bluntness, I welcome the opening of the conversation.

I live here in Switzerland. When NeXT computers was shut down by Steve
Jobs, he left the staff "jobless" without paying their salaries. The
abandoned employees siezed the equipment in order to receive some form
of compensation. Other persons were unceremoniously dumped...

The way NeXT Switzerland was closed down was in my opinion, a disgrace.
I never heard of any compensation being offered or paid to any of the
persons I knew there. If any one has information to add I would be
interested to hear it.

My investments in software for NeXT computers was a write-off. It was
this bitter experience that led me to become a supporter of the FSF and
particularly the GNUstep project, sponsoring, aiding and assisting at
numerous events, in particular FOSDEM and Alpenstep.

My children appreciate their iPod, iTouch and iPhone (paid with their
pocket money). Technically they are wonderful devices and I thank the
team of dedicated persons that brought them into being.

Like Richard, I believe the lock-in and lack of freedom is impoverishing
our society. Great wisdom, design, art and culture needs to be shared
otherwise these memes are lost to future society. On this measure Steve
Jobs, despite the technical brilliance falls short.

I am glad that Steve despite his failings, and what I saw as almost
psychopathic behavior was able to go on after NeXT to create other
successful businesses and found a family.

I hope we all can continue to contribute to GNUstep. I believe it it
also a way for us to leave behind a positive legacy to Steve Jobs, his
team, family and friends. This is far better than to donate my
NeXTstations to a museum that will no longer be used by anyone.

Thanks,

Gerold Rupprecht

This may have been