Re: FOSDEM Arrangements

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: FOSDEM Arrangements
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:24:06 +0100

Le 13 déc. 2010 à 00:42, David Chisnall a écrit :

> On 12 Dec 2010, at 22:05, Quentin Mathé wrote:
>
>> Le 12 déc. 2010 à 16:26, David Chisnall a écrit :
>>
>>> How long I spend at the beer event will largely depend on whether I have to
>>> give a talk on Saturday morning...
>>
>> I'm tempted by a shorter beer event. We could have our own beer event
>> possibly too. I wouldn't mind to go to a quieter or less crowded place.
>
> Well, Delirium did have a good selection of beer...  The walk back across
> freezing-cold Brussels at 6am wasn't so fun, but watching Nicolas have a
> conversation with a singing finger puppet made up for it.

:-D

>  I wouldn't mind somewhere a bit quieter though - I remember shouting at Fred
> a lot and just getting shrugs and blank stares in reply...  Maybe if we get
> there a bit earlier this year we can have a few beers there and then retire
> to somewhere closer to the hotel before the trains stop running?

Could be a good solution. We wouldn't have to worry about the closing hour for
the subway.

>>> It would be a good idea.  I think I have to go to whichever hotel the
>>> organisers put me in, so hopefully I can find out what that is, and maybe
>>> try to find one nearby for everyone else.  If we can get a list of people
>>> who are definitely going, then we can try contacting some hotels and see if
>>> they want to offer a discount.
>>
>> I added myself to the FOSDEM page on the wiki.
>>
>> For the talks, I submitted two proposals: Étoilé Progresses and EtoileUI
>
> I'd like to hear about Étoilé progress...

I'm not sure what I'll talk about but there are various things (metamodel,
documentation, theming, Eric's object merging etc.) that can be discussed.

>> Otherwise I'd be interested to hear talks about:
>> - CoreBase and CoreGraphics/Opal in GNUstep
>
> I think Stef, Gregory, and Eric are the best people to talk about this, and
> I'm not sure if any of them are going to be there (Gregory and Eric aren't,
> not sure about Stef - Stef, I actually have no idea which continent you're
> on...).

ok

>> - DBusKit
>
> I poked DBUSKit a bit and it definitely looks like a thing that's worth
> advertising and some demos.  If Niels doesn't want to give a long talk, maybe
> we could have a few 'system integration' lightning talks and have other
> people talk about the UXTheme / GNOME Theme stuff and anything else of
> relevance?

Agreed. Having a talk about theming even if it's short sounds important, at
least to show GNUstep is really motivated into supporting high-quality themes
and integration in various environments.
The DBusKit fits well in this perspective and the app example Niels wrote
seemed pretty exciting to me. Few yours ago, I wrote some DBus code (using the
basic C lib and the glib-based lib) and it wasn't a completely pleasant
experience.

>> - EtoileText (… I'm especially curious about the possibility to leverage
>> OMeta to write the tree transform rules)
>> - LanguageKit Progresses
>
> I could talk about either of these.  Most of the changes in LanguageKit since
> last year have been polishing off rough edges and a few optimisations (most
> of these can also apply to Objective-C, but because it's so hard to drive
> them from GNUstep Make we have the amusing situation that Smalltalk is a lot
> faster than Objective-C for some things).
>
> EtoileText might be of interest to other people.  For anyone who hasn't been
> following the Étoilé blog, I'm using it to generate the ePub version of my
> upcoming book from LaTeX sources, complete with clang-driven syntax
> highlighting for the code samples (which looks much nicer than the LaTeX
> listings package, since it can distinguish typedefs, macros, and so on).

If I had to make a choice, I'd rather pick EtoileText since I know close to
nothing about it. But that's my personal preference, I suppose people who
attend to the talks might be more interested to hear about LanguageKit and
recent progresses such as EScript. It's more trendy in a way ;-)

Cheers,
Quentin.