Re: FOSDEM Arrangements

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: FOSDEM Arrangements
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:42:06 +0000

On 12 Dec 2010, at 22:05, Quentin Mathé wrote:

> Le 12 déc. 2010 à 16:26, David Chisnall a écrit :
>
>> How long I spend at the beer event will largely depend on whether I have to
>> give a talk on Saturday morning...
>
> I'm tempted by a shorter beer event. We could have our own beer event
> possibly too. I wouldn't mind to go to a quieter or less crowded place.

Well, Delirium did have a good selection of beer...  The walk back across
freezing-cold Brussels at 6am wasn't so fun, but watching Nicolas have a
conversation with a singing finger puppet made up for it.  I wouldn't mind
somewhere a bit quieter though - I remember shouting at Fred a lot and just
getting shrugs and blank stares in reply...  Maybe if we get there a bit
earlier this year we can have a few beers there and then retire to somewhere
closer to the hotel before the trains stop running?

>>> BTW: What did become of the plan to get a discounted group booking at a
>>> hotel?
>>

>> It would be a good idea.  I think I have to go to whichever hotel the
>> organisers put me in, so hopefully I can find out what that is, and maybe
>> try to find one nearby for everyone else.  If we can get a list of people
>> who are definitely going, then we can try contacting some hotels and see if
>> they want to offer a discount.
>
> I added myself to the FOSDEM page on the wiki.
>
> For the talks, I submitted two proposals: Étoilé Progresses and EtoileUI

I'd like to hear about Étoilé progress...

> Otherwise I'd be interested to hear talks about:
> - CoreBase and CoreGraphics/Opal in GNUstep

I think Stef, Gregory, and Eric are the best people to talk about this, and I'm
not sure if any of them are going to be there (Gregory and Eric aren't, not
sure about Stef - Stef, I actually have no idea which continent you're on...).

> - GNUstep Progresses and Roadmap

> - DBusKit

I poked DBUSKit a bit and it definitely looks like a thing that's worth
advertising and some demos.  If Niels doesn't want to give a long talk, maybe
we could have a few 'system integration' lightning talks and have other people
talk about the UXTheme / GNOME Theme stuff and anything else of relevance?

> - EtoileText (… I'm especially curious about the possibility to leverage
> OMeta to write the tree transform rules)
> - LanguageKit Progresses

I could talk about either of these.  Most of the changes in LanguageKit since
last year have been polishing off rough edges and a few optimisations (most of
these can also apply to Objective-C, but because it's so hard to drive them
from GNUstep Make we have the amusing situation that Smalltalk is a lot faster
than Objective-C for some things).

EtoileText might be of interest to other people.  For anyone who hasn't been
following the Étoilé blog, I'm using it to generate the ePub version of my
upcoming book from LaTeX sources, complete with clang-driven syntax
highlighting for the code samples (which looks much nicer than the LaTeX
listings package, since it can distinguish typedefs, macros, and so on).

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA