Re: Call for talks at our FOSDEM 2010 devroom (deadline 2010-01-03)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Call for talks at our FOSDEM 2010 devroom (deadline 2010-01-03)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:46:32 -0800 (PST)

On 7 Dez. 2009, 23:04, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-
helld...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>
> thank you very much for your offer. I've added it to http://
> wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/FOSDEM_2010#List_of_submitted_talk.
> 2Fdiscussion.2Fsession_proposals . Just two questions: Do you have a
> preference for the time of your discussion (morning, noon or
> afternoon) and can you estimate how long it will be (30, 45 or 60
> minutes)?
>
> To everybody else and especially to the people who are still unsure
> whether to actively participate in our devroom activities: Of course
> discussions, hands on or hacking sessions are also welcome. Feel free
> to come up with some idea / concept.
>
> regards,
>
>         Lars
>
> Am 05.12.2009 um 15:51 schrieb Fred Kiefer:
>

> > I don't want to give a talk, but rather lead a discussion. The title
> > could be "Towards GNUsep gui 1.0" and it will be about what we need to
> > get there and how to achieve this within the next year. I will
> > prepare a
> > few opening statements and the rest will be up to the audience.
>
> > Fred
>
> > Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf schrieb:
> >> FOSDEM is up in just 63 days and we have time until Sunday
> >> finally submit the talks in our devroom to the FOSDEM organizers.
> >> So I'd
> >> say we preferably finish our schedule until 2010-01-03 so that the
> >> presenters have some time to turn in their abstracts, picture and
> >> (optionally) bio for the presentation at the FOSDEM website. Until
> >> the
> >> 3rd of January only 29 days are left.
>
> >> I have set up a list of proposed talks the talks schedule at our
> >> wiki:
> >>http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/FOSDEM_2010#Dev-
> >> Room_Presentations_and_Events
> >> . I think we first should collect all talk offers and then start
> >> scheduling.
>
> >> So please send your proposals to the list or - even better - enter
> >> them
> >> on the wiki page above. At first a title, a short summary, proposed
> >> duration and a preffered time slot would do, so we can start
> >> scheduling
> >> as soon as possible. The FOSDEM organizers strongly recommend a
> >> granularity of 15 minute blocks. So if a talk is just 15 (lightning
> >> talk), 30 or 45 minutes long - fine!
>
> >> As an advice: experience tells that 15 minutes are really short
> >> (hence
> >> the moniker "lightning talk"). Usually such a lightning talk is only
> >> sufficient when you want to put a single new feature into the
> >> spotlight
> >> - let me give an example here: "There's now a GNOME theme
> >> available for
> >> GNUstep" (hint for a talk!) or something along those lines. 30 to 45
> >> minutes are a good time for a full featured talk and don't
> >> underestimate
> >> the time needed for a discussion afterwards.
>
> >> Later I would need the following from the presenters for
> [...]

Finally, I have added my proposals to the list on the wiki:

"Simple WebKit - a simplified WebKit compatible implementation in pure
Obj-C 1.0" / status, architecture, demo, discussion
"ocpp-2.0 - a preprocessor approach to translate Obj-C 2.0 extensions
to Obj-C 1.0 for (older) platforms" / status, discussion
"Learnings from porting QuantumSTEP to different Linux Handhelds (e.g.
Openmoko)" / demo, cross-compiler, performance, optimization,
discussion

Nikolaus