Re: GNUstep Software Index 2.6.0

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GNUstep Software Index 2.6.0
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 02:19:29 -0800 (PST)

On 31 Dez. 2008, 16:19, "Nicolas Roard" <nicolas.ro...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 6:45 PM, h...@computer.org <h...@computer.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > as a Christmas present to all, I have reworked a small part of the
> > Software Index scripts and now it is easier to manage and view
> > multiple versions of an application.
>
> Very cool !
>
> A couple of ideas:

Well, it had been as suggested in earlier versions but they have been
removed/replaced later on.

> - in the application list, only show the last versions (e.g. right now
> Gorm is shown 3 times for example)

The idea of the Application list is a "Feed" so that the "Headlines"
are shown
in chronologically descending order. If more and more updates come per
day, updates for the same application will show up less frequently on
the same page.

Another idea is to store dependencies in the future. This requires to
always
have access to history since automatic upgrading may need to access
older version data first.

Finally, sometimes older versions are known to be more stable so they
can still be
found easily by browsing through the lists.

> - in the application detail page, show all screenshots independantly
> of their version number

This would need a special mechanism to delete outdated screen shots.
Now, they
are just not copied to the current version but are still available for
the older ones.

I am not sure if the screen shots are really copied automatically to a
new version. But if not, this is a bug.

> - instead of separate pages per version, maybe a single page per app ?
> with the possibility to add a release note per version, to detail the
> changes

Originally there was only one page per App. This had the effect that
changes and upgrade paths had been lost. So the simplest way was to
have a Wiki-like approach: simply store
all history that is available and almost never delete anything.

And, it turned out that it is not sufficient to just add a text field
"New Features" since changes can affect everything (from licence to
download URL, screenshots, typos in the headline etc.).

Nikolaus