GNUStep on Windows

From: Chris Karr
Subject: GNUStep on Windows
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:16:07 -0500

Apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere, but I didn't find what I need, hence this note.

I'm working on a research project for applying artificial intelligence techniques toward creating adaptive applications. I've written a system that does this on the Mac called Pennyworth:

        http://pennyworth.aetherial.net/

It's a fairly straightforward Objective-C application that predicts the user's context and disseminates it to listening applications.

I've been looking into options for porting it to Linux and Windows. I recently caught a recent FLOSS Weekly that featured your project and I was intrigued by it and the Chameleon theming software. Ideally, I'd like to use those technologies create a native Windows (and Linux) application that mirrors the Mac app's functionality.

Unfortunately, while the Windows installation went smoothly on my Vista (32 bit) machine, I couldn't run any programs other than the launcher without incurring a crash. I don't know if this is a problem with my machine, or a more general issue (it's a pretty basic Vista setup), but if I can send crash reports somewhere, please let me know.

Over the long run, I was curious whether using GNUStep as a foundation for native Windows development is a robust strategy. As a software developer myself, I understand well the challenges of deploying robust code, but I doubt that my users will be as understanding. If there's something obviously wrong that I'm doing, please let me know.

Thank you.

-Chris