Re: GNUStep on Windows

From: Krishna
Subject: Re: GNUStep on Windows
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:21:42 +0530

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Adam Fedor <fedor@qwestoffice.net> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Chris Karr wrote:
>

>> Over the long run, I was curious whether using GNUStep as a foundation for
>> native Windows development is a robust strategy. As a software developer
>> myself, I understand well the challenges of deploying robust code, but I
>> doubt that my users will be as understanding. If there's something obviously
>> wrong that I'm doing, please let me know.
>>

> I think it will be.  I've been working on making the Windows Installer
> available for almost a year now, and I've just barely started to understand
> all the pitfalls that can come with Windows.  Sometimes just adding some
> innocuous library can completely mess up the symbol table and cause GNUstep
> apps to not run - so you have to be careful about adding additional
> functionality, even if it is well tested on other platforms. In general,
> dealing with Windows problems can drive you mad.
>
> But we are definitely getting more focused on Windows releases - to the
> point where Windows will probably be a reference platform soon (if not
> already) - where we won't release a version until it works on Windows.
>
> Also getting a more native Windows feel is part of that strategy.  Although
> we could definitely use more help here.  Anything you can contribute back to
> GNUstep would be appreciated.

Tried 0.20.3 (and Gorm mostly). Has come a long way (in terms of
stability atleast) since I tried it last. Great work guys!.

Any chance on bundling killer apps like Cenon.app or Emacs.app? ;) Do
those build on Mingw?

Cheers,
-Krishna

--
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?