Re: Re: All GNUstep apps have blank windows, and lots of apps won't comp

From: Samuel Harvey
Subject: Re: Re: All GNUstep apps have blank windows, and lots of apps won't compile
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:52:15 +0000

  On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:42 +0000, Samuel Harvey wrote:
> [...]
>  > backends. I have turned off text-antialiasing as specified in the FAQ
>  > ( http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/User_FAQ#Troubleshooting ).
>  >
>  > This happens using the packages built for my system (Debian Linux
>  > testing), as well as the svn trunk.
>  >
>  >
>  > Compilation problem:
>  > --------------------
>  >
>  > These will not compile (modules/dev-libs):
>  > db        ( http://pastebin.com/f56b9edbb )
>  > gdl2      ( http://pastebin.com/f80b962f )
>  > gscrypt   ( http://pastebin.com/f383838ac )
>  > gsgd      ( http://pastebin.com/f3c303ebe )
>  > gsweb     ( http://pastebin.com/f4a1c5755 )
>  > guile     ( http://pastebin.com/f4f973a7f )
>  > java      ( http://pastebin.com/f728faff0 )
>  > smbkit    ( http://pastebin.com/f66789139 )
>  >
>  > Representative error message (from db):
>  > ***
>  > In file included from exceptions/EOFExceptions.m:30:
>  > ../eoaccess/EOEntity.h:31:33: warning: extensions/GCObject.h: No such
>  > file or directory
>  > ../eoaccess/EOEntity.h:32:32: warning: extensions/GCArray.h: No such
>  > file or directory
>  > ../eoaccess/EOEntity.h:33:37: warning: extensions/GCDictionary.h: No
>  > such file or directory
>  > ***
>  >
>  > All of those files do exist in
>  > /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/GNUstepBase/, but there is no
>  > folder on my system named extensions that contains those files.
>  >
>  > The section in the User FAQ on compilation problems didn't seem to
>  > apply if I understood correctly; LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the same for my
>  > user and for root, not to mention that I'm not compiling as root.
>  > Compiling as root gives the same error.
>  >
>  >
>  > Probably relevant system information:
>  > ----------------------------
>  >
>  > Debian GNU/Linux (testing) lappy02 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP
>  > gcc version 4.3.2 (Debian 4.3.2-1)
>  > GNUstep version: trunk rev 26848
>  >
>  >
>  > Since GNUstep seems to be compiling and working for everyone else, I'm
>  > obviously doing something wrong.
>  >
>  >
>  > Sam H
>  >

> I will only reply on the display problem. Form your mail I would expect that
> you are using the default art backand and this issue is caused by an unusual
> display mode. When you start up a GNUstep application is there any message?
> There are known issues for some 16 bit display modes for the art backend, in
> that case it would be a possible solution to switch to the (still

Recompiling with ./configure --enable-graphics=cairo worked.

> Or to implement the missing display mode support :-)

Maybe in a couple of years... I'm not quite up to snuff yet.

On 10/21/08, Tim Kack <timkack@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Samuel,
>
>  Regarding the failing gdl2, I was looking at the output in the pastebin
>  and noticed:
>
>  "Palette.h:26:40: warning: InterfaceBuilder/IBPalette.h: No such file or
>  directory"
>  You need to install dev-apps/gorm first before trying to compile GDL2 to
>  get the necessary headers for building the GDL2Palette.

Worked!

>  The other thing I noticed is that it seems that you have two libobjc
>  libraries:
>  "/usr/bin/ld: warning: libobjc.so.2, needed
>  by /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-gui.so, may conflict
>  with libobjc.so.1"

Is it possibly causing the problems for the last few things in
dev-libs that won't compile?
How would I resolve that? As far as I can tell, I only have one
libobjc library installed, which is libobjc2 version 4.3.2

>  GSWeb will not compile until you have compiled GDL2.

True... because it compiles now.

>  The problems with gnustep-db is indeed a problem and the GCObject.h is
>  declared in GNUstepBase.

So is there anything I can do short of learning how to develop gnustep-db?

>  Regarding the blank windows, are you using desktop composition (like
>  compiz, beryl etc)? Which window manager are you using?

Actually, I'm not using any special windowing servers, just plain old
Xorg. I've got a circa 2001 Thinkpad with an integrated Savage video
card... so all that fancy stuff just doesn't work for me :(....

>  Hope this helps.

It certainly did.

Thanks, Fred and Tim!

Here's what compiled after a more careful reading of the make errors:

gscrypt
Installed libpam0g-dev, compiled fine. There wasn't any README or
INSTALL file to look for dependencies in, but after reading the error
messages more carefully (duh), I ran "apt-cache --names-only search
lib pam dev" which turned up the library I needed.

smbkit
Same deal as gscrypt: needed to install libsmbclient-dev. README is
empty, and INSTALL only contains the text "make install".

Here's what still won't compile in modules/dev-libs:

db
Tim said it was a 'problem'.

gsgd
****
Making all for library libgsgd...
 Compiling file GDFont.m ...
In file included from GDFont.m:24:
../Headers/gsgd/GDFont.h:29:16: warning: gd.h: No such file or directory
****

java
****
Making all for library libgnustep-java...
 Compiling file ObjcRuntimeUtilities.c ...
In file included from /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc/objc-api.h:31,
                 from ObjcRuntimeUtilities.h:29,
                 from ObjcRuntimeUtilities.c:49:
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc/hash.h: In function 'objc_hash_ptr':
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc/hash.h:168: error: 'size_t'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc/hash.h:168: error: (Each
undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc/hash.h:168: error: for each
function it appears in.)
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc/hash.h:168: error: expected
')' before 'key'
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/objc/hash.h:169: warning: control
reaches end of non-void function
make[2]: *** [obj/ObjcRuntimeUtilities.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libgnustep-java.all.library.variables] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/kephnos/src/gnustep/modules/dev-libs/java/Source'
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2
****

So did I screw up with compiling some objc stuff?

Also, is there a dependency list for everything somewhere? I've tried
looking, but I couldn't find anything, so I just blindly attempt to
compile/install things.

Thanks,
Sam H