Re: Central GNUstep software index?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Central GNUstep software index?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:27:47 +0200

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Gregory John Casamento
<greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey Francisco,
>  This would require that all of the various maintainers agree to upload their
> software to one given site which is simply not the way it works anywhere.

Actually, no. Look at http://osx.iusethis.com/
All it WOULD require is that all maintainers and/or programmers are
willing to update the information at one "entry point" and KEEP it
up-to-date.

Basically, what the WIKI categories for Frameworks and Applications do
right now.
The 'problem' here is, that the information stored with WIKI cannot
readily be used as a source for an application like AppFresh (again,
see I Use This, mentioned above).

>  I believe that what we need is something like what we already have on the
> wiki, but more focused.   A central registry which contains links to where
> you can download the software... something like Version Tracker, I suppose.

Yes. However, this would basically just require a (big) XML file with
all the information, like name, version number and download URL.

--
Chris