Re: Central GNUstep software index?

From: Francisco Oltra
Subject: Re: Central GNUstep software index?
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:51:41 -0700

On 20-Apr-08, at 10:00 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Hey Francisco,

This would require that all of the various maintainers agree to upload their software to one given site which is simply not the way it works anywhere.

True, but it doesn't have to work that way. I was thinking more of a Gentoo Portage kind of way, where the mantainer specifies the url of the original source release with its dependencies, that can also be a cvs or svn source, and the user installs by running a script that does all the dirty clothes wash cycle following the package description . The ebuild system has to deal with lots of complexities and supporting different build systems and targets, which is something GNUstep already has. I envision it as simplified version of what gentoo portage does and it would be os (maybe arch) agnostic.

I didn't wanted to mention gentoo before not to be dismissed as a zealot, but as a long time linux user (only because i'm cheap) and having trashed many boxes with different linux distros, i can say emerge slices your bread nicely, but i digress. The feature i loved the most was been able to 'bump' an ebuild locally to the latest version and not have to wait for the maintainer to update it or to get it accepted in the tree. who doesn't want the latest version when its fresh ;-)?

I believe that what we need is something like what we already have on the wiki, but more focused. A central registry which contains links to where you can download the software... something like Version Tracker, I suppose.

vt... then its better to leave like it is, i suppose.

Just my $0.02.

that would be my $0.02 in japanese currency.;-)

Later, GJC
Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc
# GNUstep Chief Maintainer