Re: Porting WebKit again

From: Mark Rowe
Subject: Re: Porting WebKit again
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:10:21 +1100

On 2007-12-05 04:26:49 +1100, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> said:

These days everybody seems to port WebKit to his platform of choice: QT, GTK++, you name it:

http://planet.webkit.org/

It has been a while when the consens on this list was that porting WebKit is hard/difficult to do. I guess that might have changed since the last time we looked - it must have changed I can't explain the various porting efforts otherwise. Can somebody with sufficient insight please reevaluate the porting possibilities of WebKit?

As should be clear from the number of ports of WebKit that have appeared over the last 6 months, porting is not a incredibly hard task. It requires time and an ability to feel your way around a reasonably large code base, but there should not be anything overly difficult for a competent developer. We have several ports in progress that are driven primarily by one or two developers. Kevin Ollivier did most of the work on the wxWidgets port on his own, and Robert Norris is making good progress on a port to AROS. The WebKit team is friendly and more than willing to answer questions and provide assistance where possible to new ports.

Kind regards,

Mark Rowe