Re: GNUstep Windows Installer

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep Windows Installer
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:41:30 -0700

On Dec 28, 2007, at 4:45 AM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

make:
The Readme.MINGW file and the GNUstep on Windows Wiki page
(http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Installation_on_Windows) suggest to
use ./configure --with-layout=fhs, but you seem to have used ./ configure
--prefix=/GNUstep. I don't mind either of them, but we should be
consistent. Otherwise people end up with two GNUstep installations.

Yes. There is no native layout in Windows (At least not that a normal Windows user is aware of), so the GNUstep layout is probably the best.

base:
It looks like the xml2-config script in the mingw/bin directory is not
set up correctly. Changing its first variable to point to the real
directory (I think it was just /mingw) solves the problem.

That's probably because I cross-compiled everything to save time. I really haven't tested out compiling things on Windows except for some simple stuff. I should probably test that more.

gui:
Here a problem with the type boolean that gets defined in two imported
header files needs to be resolved. I worked around this by hacking in a
#define boolean JPEG_BOOL into the libjpeg.h file.

After all that I still have problem starting up an application. This is
caused by gui not finding the backend. I expect that this is caused by
some unusual language settings (German) on my computer. At least this is the only hint I get from GNUstep. I report back on that issue as soon as
I find out more.