Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in L

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:58:19 +0100

Am 27.11.2007 um 18:16 schrieb Dr Tomaž Slivnik:

However, even if some (or a lot of) people are saying that GnuStep must change its look and "move forward", that does not make it either the right technical decision or the right business decision.

IMHO, the only technical decision here is wether GNUstep should be themeable/skinable or not. Which theme/skin to provide by default is a question for designers.

Furthermore it does not mean that changing the appearance of GNUstep will result in more people using GNUstep. Where is your business case for that - what evidence do you have that this will happen?

To the end user, a good look is more important than anything. Even professionals aren't immune to fashion. Look at the iPod, look at how often it was sold as a "backup device".

The reason, in my opinion, that GNUstep is not taking off is blindingly obvious and much more mundane: the damn thing is IMPOSSIBLE to install.

First of all, which OS are you talking about? Obviously Mac OS X, but which of it's flavours?

I'd built up all the prerequisites 5-way fat (ppc/ppc7450/ppc64/ i386/x86_64) only to realize that if I want to build GnuStep itself 5-way fat, I have to build 5 different versions of GCC and build everything else again with Gnu runtime ... and then rebuild GnuStep again. It's several more weeks' worth of work!

This is probably the reason why you next to never see 5-way fat executables. There isn't much point in having so many architectures as GNUstep isn't meant to do hours of number crunching.

Did you try the apple-apple-apple combo? This should you give you a GNUstep environment with the minimum effort.

First thing, DarwinPorts failed to install at all because it didn't like something in my /usr/local.

No doubt, Mac OS X is moving more and more away from being a Unix.

But even with a completely clean machine, DarwinPorts failed, like this:

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: ArtResources gnustep-core gnustep-back gnustep-gui gnustep-base gnutls libgcrypt libgpg-error gettext libtasn1 lzo opencdk readline ncurses ncursesw libpng libungif tiff jpeg libart_lgpl GMastermind GMines GNUMail Etoile [...]

Looks like seriously messed up dependencies.

BTW., why are you using Mac OS X instead of a much cheaper Linux- based PC?

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/