Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:35:42 -0600

As to the look, is there a reason why Camaelon still isn't part of the standard GNUstep distribution? Yes, the default look is clean, but it's clean and very 80s. Nesedah is clean and modern, and Narcissus is even cleaner. Using GNUstep apps without Camaelon feels like stepping through a time warp.

For what it's worth, I like the "very 80s" look. What's wrong with the 80s look?

User interface is very hard to design well, and NeXT did an excellent, and, in my opinion, ever since unsurpassed, job. It is not easy to tinker with a good design and make it better.

The NeXT look-and-feel is consistent and minimalist. The (i) simple, (ii) square (iii) gray (iv) static GUI elements remain subdued in the background, and do not compete with the user's own data for the user's attention. The design looks as if it was carefully designed by a single brain who understood the design from a holistic point of view, had considered every angle of it, and trimmed out all the fat.

I'd be more conservative in making claims we can so easily improve on the NeXT original design. I've looked at some of the themes offered in Camaeleon. They look interesting/OK. I personally prefer the NeXT design.

I think a theming engine is useful; but I'm not convinced it's such a great priority and I can see good reasons not to have it a part of the standard distribution (see pitfalls above).

Not that there is tons to look at yet, but this is the current status of the Narcissus theme:

http://jesseross.com/clients/etoile/ui/themes/narcissus/02.png

I really like the NeXT style too -- it is by far one of the most consistent and elegant UI's ever designed. I think you'll find that Narcissus is honest to the NeXT style, but is more approachable to people used to current GUIs with their gradients and smooth edges.

J.