Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:53:50 +0100

Stefan Bidigaray wrote:
> That reminds me of another point worth discussing... the defaults
> system.  What you're saying here is not simple to do exactly because the
> user HAS to change the defaults themselves.  Take for example GTK+
> settings, all a distribution have to do to get a new look is add the
> file $SYS_CONFIG_DIR/gtk- 2.0/gtkrc.  If the distributor, for whatever
> reason, decides to change the standard theme all they have to do is
> write a new file and replace the old one.  Under GNUstep, on the other
> hand, there's no way around the fact that GNUstep doesn't offer a global
> configuration file.  If a distributor wants a default set of settings,
> they have to come up with a way to write defaults to every user, while
> at the same time making sure they don't override the user's own
> defaults.  In my opinion, someone should be able to at least set
> NSGlobalDomain setting under a global file.
>
> I brought this up almost a year ago, and remember that the issue was
> that NSUserDefaults wasn't set up to have more than 1 file and so would
> need to be rewritten.  Since then, I've tried playing with it (seeing as
> I have to come up with something for my ScreenSaverDefaults class) and
> I'm trying to understand if better so that I can do something about this.

Yes, I also think about user defaults from time to time. Splitting them
up into different files for example, so each application could ship with
a separate default setting. Having a multi level lookup also sounds
interesting, but will require a bit more thinking.

> As for the slogan, why can't we use the existing one?  Yes, I found out
> we already have one:
> GNUstep - The Ultimate Development Environment (
> http://www.gnustep.org/information/GNUstep-brochure.pdf)
> Saying we're the best never goes out of style... :)

I had forgotten about that, love it :-)