Re: PDF Viewer

From: Marko Riedel
Subject: Re: PDF Viewer
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:34:10 +0100 (CET)

--- Ingolf Jandt <i.jandt@web.de> schrieb:

> > [...]
> > However, the display quality is rather poor compared to xpdf or Adobe
> > (actually unacceptable). Any idea what this might be caused by?
> >
> This description is not very clear. But I guess the most probable
> reason is that you do not use antialiasing (output device "x11"). gs
> should be called with the option "-sx11alpha" to enable it.
>
> ingolf

Hello there,

if you start GPSText from the console, you will see the commands that it
actually uses to render pages, e.g.

/usr/bin/gs ("-dNOPAUSE", "-q", "-sDEVICE=tiffg3", "-dBATCH",
"-sOutputFile=/tmp/GNUstepSecure1005/monitor_fix_7e72_b723d70_1/%d.tiff",
"-r144x144", "/home/riedel/complex.pdf")

You can set the resolution through the menu.

The output shows that the tiffg3 device is used. So you would have to
check  whether GS now has an aliased tiff device.

The class "Preview" reads the pages written by GS into an image through
initWithContentsOfFile. Because GNUstep now reads a lot more image formats
as when I wrote the program, you can easily try other devices, like PNG or
JPEG, and test whether you get better results.

You may set the device through the Options dialogue, which currently
offers three TIFF devices, the names of which are stored in a list in
Options.m. You might be able to simply add your device to the list and get
it to work.

Best regards,

Marko

| Marko Riedel, EDV Neue Arbeit gGmbH, markoriedelde@yahoo.de |
| http://www.geocities.com/markoriedelde/index.html           |

Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail:
http://mail.yahoo.de