Re: Cocotron

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:39:29 +0000

On 24 Dec 2006, at 02:00, Helge Hess wrote:

On Dec 24, 2006, at 02:00, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
 But I don't understand the difficulty of merging libFoundation and
GNUstep-base.

Well, then just do it! :-) It doesn't make a lot of sense to argue about it, if its trivial, just demonstrate it :-)

Fair comment ... though (unless you have already done so) I think you would need to assign copyright to the FSF before it would be worth addressing technical issues.

In the past I have often posted the issues we encountered, but some of the problematic areas are:
a) KVC support
b) FHS support
c) release policies (aka no stable releases promoted)
d) various minors
e) packaging

SOPE/OGo works perfectly fine on libFoundation *and* Cocoa, but it doesn't work with GNUstep. Now its quite some research work to find out why and fix it.

Sure, but people will help if you want to do it ... however we need someone on the SOPE/OGo side, who understands how it all works and what the problems are, to list issues in enough detail to make it a reasonable way to spend time. For instance, pointing out what (if anything) is wrong with KVC support in GNUstep-base, rather than just saying that the area is problematic.

I believe it can also support the extension in libFoundation if someone asks.

Neither SOPE nor OGo depend on libFoundation. In fact both work just fine on Cocoa.

Because you took the effort to port/develop for cocoa. I haven't spent much time looking at SOPE/OGo, but what time I did spend on it was enough to notice some #ifdef options etc to cope with the different systems.

 But if license is the issue, there is almost nothing people can do.

I'm fine with LGPL, this was never a point for me. I don't know whether it was a strong point for Ovidiu when he started libFoundation, but I don't think so.

I believe Ovidiu objected to assigning copyright to the FSF more than licensing. At least, that was what I understood from my few email conversations with him.

As for the place to install (/usr/loca/lib or GNUstep/System/ Libraries),
 gnustep-base works on both ways with right settings.

Even if this is the case (nobody seems to use it!)

I've tried it out, just to check it works ... but of course I'm familiar/happy with the normal layout, so I don't do it routinely. In practice you are probably correct hat nobody uses it (though I'm often surprised by what the silent users of the software turn out to be doing).

producing packages which install it properly also takes some more days(/weeks).

Yes, good packaging is very time consuming.

I certainly can't write gnustep-make packages which install my software into /usr/local out of the box? I probably need to manually move gnustep-base and do all the right settings etc?

As a rough guess I think it would take about 2...4 weeks to get a (deployable) port. Its the typical 90/10 rule that the last 10% take 90% the time. We don't need a prototype showing SOPE/OGo running on gstep-base, but a solid solution meeting basic QA expectations.

How about spending the couple of days to get a prototype, then publicise it and let other people find the rough edges and smooth them out?

Actually I do think that gstep-base is slowly improving (adding FHS etc), but I suppose the issue is that the core developers have a different viewpoint on it (ie they don't think that proper FHS support or Unix/Linux integration is crucial etc).

Well, only Nicola works on gnustep-make generally (you are probably the second most expert person on gnustep-make after him) and you know how busy he is on other things. If you have tracked the mailing lists, you should be aware that all the core developers are in favor of having FHS compliant installation available as an option. So, since you are probably the person best placed to do it, and since you know we would be happy to accept such a contribution, why not have a chat with Nicola (to avoid any clash if you are both working on the same thing) and just add it?

Anyways. If someone wants to do the port, you are very welcome and of course you will get assistence. I still consider it a goal to move to gstep-base, but at the current pace this will take some additional 3 years. Probably we have moved to Mono till then ;->

As I've said, I'm interested in helping/doing this ... but I've got a lot of other stuff I want to do too, so I need pointing in the right direction to work in small, managable chunks. I imagine that, if you could do make package stuff (ie install everything in the places you want it) and point me to specific issues in the base library, I can address the base library issues.