Re: Cocotron

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:44:04 -0500

On Dec 24, 2006, at 7:15 AM, Helge Hess wrote:

I'm not that much into developing-AppKit, but IMHO its a huge difference whether you write AppKit just for Windows or whether you also target X11 given that the two are vastly different. Personally I would probably approach that by writing two entirely different AppKit libraries instead of creating one huge monster abstracting away the APIs inside yet another API ... (aka backends ;-)

The OpenStep idea is to have a common API, not being fixed on a common implementation.

Hi,

The gui / backend division makes a lot of sense because (1) most of the code in gui is and would always be drawing layer independent, and (2) NeXT / Apple have always split things along similar lines.

(Also, compare the size of code in gui and back. We could also compare size of GUI/back to Cocotron "WinAppKit" but can't yet because functionality is so much less there.)