Re: really attracting developers

From: Andrew Satori
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:50:47 -0400

I can't speak for other developers, but for me it's that GnuStep apps don't 'feel' native anywhere but in a full GnuStep workplace or when compiled as Cocoa apps on OS X. I think that reduces the acceptance by users (I know it did with my test of a GnuStep version of my app), and thus increases developer reluctance. The reluctance is already fueled in part by all the things you mentioned, and the difficulty of getting it set up.

If you are running on a current Linux and are comfortable with the build system of GnuStep, setup is trivial. If you aren't, it's a little harder, and the further you deviate from the 'Ubuntu/Redhat/ Debian/Suse' Linux on x86 core, the harder it gets. That's not unexpected, but it still needs to be said.

I still have a Linux box up and running that I use as a GnuStep dev box, but it's more or less used to keep tabs in the Cocoa code of what I'm doing in a given project that will require work arounds or removal if the demand for the Linux versino is there (which it isn't right now)

Andy