Re: Command line tool on Windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Command line tool on Windows
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 14:25:38 +0100

On 7 May 2006, at 14:18, Ruotger Skupin wrote:

Hi,

I want to build a command line tool on windows which works "out of the box". This means you just copy over the .exe file to a "virgin" Windows machine and you are ready to go.

1. Is that possible with GnuStep or CygWin/GnuStep? (i.e.: linking everything that's needed into the .exe)

2. If it's possible, what would be roughly the steps to take to get there? (Unfortunately I have little idea where to start)

I don't think it's realistically possible ... you need at least the objective-c runtime library and the gnustep-base library, and I don't know how/if these could be built in to your program rather than as DLLs. While static linking of the libraries my be possible, I think nobody does it.

When people talk about working 'out of the box', they usually mean that there is an installer package which installs the required libraries/reources and the executable (perhaps all in the same directory). That's certainly possible.