Ann: GSKrab 0.0.1

From: Wolfgang Sourdeau
Subject: Ann: GSKrab 0.0.1
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 04:32:12 -0400

Hi!

I am pleased to announce GS Krab, the GNUstep Keyboard Grabber.

What is GS Krab?
----------------
GS Krab is a framework and a daemon to enable GNUstep applications to
handle the special keys on multimedia keyboards. Since this would require
special hacks to work on different platform, and since those differents
platforms work differently, I thought putting those hacks together in a
centralized daemon would be the correct and clean way to do things.

Does it run on my Commodore 64?
-------------------------------
No, but it does run on Windows 2000 and XP. It runs on GNU/Linux and it
should run on any UNIX running a reasonably recent version of X11.
Support for Mac OS X is not there yet since versions older than 10.4
require to hack at the kernel driver level and I think it's not worth it.
Besides, I don't have 10.4 so you will need to implement it yourself and send
me your code.

Why the Krab after the GS?
--------------------------
Because Krab is a key grabber. "Krab" is also the creole word for
"crab". Sé pou sa mwen té ban'l nom sa.

For what kind of application would GS Krab be useful?
For applications such as GNUmail and Cynthiune. In the future it may
also be useful for the desktop applications that will be developed for
GNUstep.
Besides, I will add support for running any shell commands. The user will
be able to configure all the keys that are registered with the GS Krab
daemon so it will be able to launch applications such as Firefox or to
associate keys with specific websites.

How is GS Krab licensed ?
-------------------------
*Both* the GS Krab daemon and the GS Krab framework (considered as a
library) are distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2.
The complete text of this license is available in the "COPYING" file in the
top directory. Practically it means that any application using the Krab
framework will have to be distributed under the GNU GPL and be free
software.
If you don't want to do that, your application CANNOT use the GS Krab
library. If you don't want to distribute your modifications to GS Krab under
the GPL, don't redistribute them at all.

Yeah, whatever... Where can I grab this beast ?
http://organact.mine.nu/~wolfgang/gskrab/GSKrab-0.0.1.tar.gz

For a screenshot, point yout browser here:
http://creoles.free.fr/Cours/crabe.jpg

Happing Krabbing!

Wolfgang
--
"An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." (Gandhi)