Re: Some GNUstep observations

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Some GNUstep observations
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:10:35 +0100

Hi Gregory,

• After closing a modal dialog (e.g. a login panel), clicking on a menu
entry causes the menu to be put into the background (very annoying). I
have to doubleclick on the app icon to get it back to front. I haven't
seen this behaviour with an older version of GNUstep on Solaris 9 under
Window Manager (a bunch of differences that might lead to this error).
But I would guess that a recent change to one of the GNUstep frameworks
causes this behaviour. Does this ring any bells? Can anybody can
confirm my observation?

I haven't seen this. I will have to get my old Solaris machine out to test it.

Thanks! While you do so I would recommend to install Solaris 10 for various reasons.

• Under Window Manager the setDocumentEditied: status is visually
presented by the broken cross. This does not work under KDE, GNOME,
SJD,... Is it anyhow possible to get this feature into these other
(default) UIs? GNUstep apps are basically useless without this feature
IMHO, so Window Manager seems to be a must. However, users might
already got used to GNOME, SJD,... or would like to stay with these
enviroments for other reasons (looks fancier). Any chance?

GNUstep is useless without the broken cross!? That's a bit of an extreme position don't you think? I never knew it was such a mission-critical, do or
die feature!

Well, that's why I added the IMHO to my statement. We do database applications, and for us it is important for the user to see whether he has unsaved changes (uncommitted transaction). But also for an application like Ink.app I wouldn't like to work without the cross or a similar visualization of the save state.

My comment did not mean "forget about GNUstep", but rather "You want to use GNUstep, then Window Maker is a must" unless other window managers support this feature as well. Basically this was my question, what other window managers beside Window Maker do support the cross?

Best regards,

  Andreas