Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:23:04 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri,  7 Oct 2005 11:09:14 +0200, Stefan wrote:
> Citát Chris Vetter <cbv@gmx.net>:
> > On Thu,  6 Oct 2005 16:17:56 +0200, Stefan wrote:
> > [...]
> > > - if they would use GNUstep, they will widen developer and support
> > > base to those who do not own a Mac and therefore do not have OS X
> > > - on OS X they would use Cocoa, on other platforms they can use
> > > GNUstep for development
> > Yes, however, Cocoa offers more functionality that is not yet (there, I
> > said it :-) fully available.
> What is missing that can be considered as blocking?

Granted, I haven't tried but are drawers and toolbars already fully
implemented? If not, this would be a *major* drawback (regardless of whether
you like drawers or not, they seem to be pretty much used anywhere on OSX).

I think this coincides with Adam's mail a few days back about identifying
missing or halfway-implemented classes (as compared to Cocoa) and offering a
bounty for implementing / finishing those.

> > > - with GCC 4+ it would be possible to mix Objective C (cocoa) code
> > > with C++ (oo.org) code
> > That would require GNUstep to compile with GCC-4.1 which is not yet
> > (oops, I did it again :-) possible.
> Some people are working on it. Questions are:
> - who is working on it?
> - what is the status?
> - what is the timeframe of finishink a working prototype implementation?

Greg apparently started working on it. At least he offered a patch for
gnustep-make.

[...]
> > > p.s.: 'not yet'-reason is not an obstacle, as it is not immediate
> > > action, but rather longer project plan.
> > Yes, however, IMHO some (if not all) of the 'not yet'-issues need be
> > resolved before offering a 'proposal.' Otherwise, especially with
> > respect to missing functionality, they wouldn't be interested.
> I have to agree with you, that the proposal should be written after the
> issues are resolved. I wrote the sentence because I wanted people to give
> constructive feedback.

Yes, I know. However, this could then already be too late... :-(

--
Chris

--
NEU: Telefon-Flatrate fürs dt. Festnetz! GMX Phone_Flat: 9,99 Euro/Mon.*
Für DSL-Nutzer. Ohne Providerwechsel! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/telefonie