Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:02:39 +0200

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
Hi,

Following article made me think:

http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/05/1132218&mode=thread&threshold=-1

What do you think about showing, in some official way, to the OO.org development
community, that there is GNUstep that can be used as an option for creating at
least some parts of OO.org OS X port? I mean, main argument should be:
- if they would use GNUstep, they will widen developer and support base to those
who do not own a Mac and therefore do not have OS X
- on OS X they would use Cocoa, on other platforms they can use GNUstep for
development
- with GCC 4+ it would be possible to mix Objective C (cocoa) code with C++
(oo.org) code

I think they are not very aware of GNUstep.

Benefits for them: portable framework and more potential developers, solution to
actual problem
Benefits for us: publicity, usage by large project, more feedback

Another benefit ODF support :)

Is GNUstep marketable to OO.org? If yes, can someone from leading developers
write a official email to the relevant OO lead developers/decision makers?

Perfect plan. This would be a very good idea.

Regards,

Stefan Urbanek

p.s.: 'not yet'-reason is not an obstacle, as it is not immediate action, but
rather longer project plan.
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi