Re: Time to communicate

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Time to communicate
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:46:00 -0400

On Oct 5, 2005, at 12:01 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

On 5. Okt 2005, at 17:56 Uhr, Adrian Robert wrote:

For example, even in the relatively huge Gnome project with Ximian pumping in venture capital, they had to practically kill themselves to deliver Evolution.

Could you elaborate?

This was mostly back in 2001.. It was led by Ximian and people were being paid to work on it full time. I had the impression that developers were being pulled off of other projects to help out (but don't know for sure). The project ended up being months late.

(I wasn't involved with Ximian or the core efforts, but was doing some minor work on some peripheral Gnome projects at the time and following progress.)

Anyway, this is just to say that, groupware apps being core to a large part of daily interaction in today's companies, feature sets are large, and standards tend to be high. Hopefully we can get a working WebKit not too long after the gcc-4.1 release, and that will jumpstart more people's interest in doing app development..