Re: Time to communicate

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Time to communicate
Date: 05 Oct 2005 20:56:23 GMT

Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Anyway, this is just to say that, groupware apps being core to a
> large part of daily interaction in today's companies, feature sets
> are large, and standards tend to be high. [...]

Part of the problem is that these things get complicated
fast.  The right solutions are usually simple and elegant,
but elusive. If it were possible to bundle-ise the parts
of GNUmail in a way that makes sense and then make TalkSoup
and other parts fit into that (servers instead of mailboxes,
channels and people instead of messages, chat window instead
of view pane, perhaps), then it might just work.

It could have performance benefits too. Personally, I don't use
any IMAP services and seldom want attachments, so not having
them loaded in memory all the time would be good. I'm not sure
what GNUmail parts might be most difficult to include in any
such transition to a Communicator...

I think we should encourage someone wanting to take a shot at
developing Communicator. You're right to say it's a big and
important task, but it would be so good to see it done right
at last, wouldn't it? GNUstep often values good over easy:
if any group can do this, GNUsteppers can.

--
MJR/slef