Debugging hints

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Debugging hints
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:17:50 +1000

I need some help debugging on Windows. I am working with CVS versions of
GNUstep and Backbone, specifically working with Preferences. Whenever I
click on the Colors panel, the program crashes.

Through some backtraces and stack evaluations, I've managed to find the
bug is being caused by NSApplication destroying it's run loop pool
(specifically the following code), whereby one of the objects on the
autorelease pool has already been freed, so that when it calls "release"
on the object (specifically [_contents_array release] in GSArray), it is
in fact trying to dereference a hanging pointer. As the object has
already been freed, I have no way to discern what it actually was.
AFAIK, it could be coming from inside Preferences (or one of its
modules), gnustep-gui or gnustep-base

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can locate this object, or get
some idea of what it was? Perhaps I should start by breakpointing at the
method that handles changing the Preferences panel?

--
Christopher Armstrong <quineska @AT@ gamebox dot NET>