Re: Compiling OS-X Apps on GNUStep/Linux

From: Stefan Kleine Stegemann
Subject: Re: Compiling OS-X Apps on GNUStep/Linux
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:10:55 +0200

Hi,

> I remember I read somewhere that's Apple Mail program has been
> compiled succesfully under Linux/GNUStep. I know there is GNUmail now,
> but my question is more, about the compilation.... did I miss read ?
> is it really possible to compile a OS-X app under GNUStep ?

I don't know about Apple Mail but it's generally possible to compile OSX
applications under GNUstep since Cocoa and GNUstep are the same API
in large parts. However, Apple has made some additions to Cocoa that didn't
make it into GNUstep (at least not know). The URLLoading framework comes
to my mind.

> what in the code would make the compilation fail ?
> call to the core os-x api ? quartz ? aqua ?
Exactly. Everything that is not in the Foundation/AppKit API will cause
problems. CoreFoundation is also not available.

In general, I would say that it's not too difficult to have an Application
working on both OSX and GNUstep (GNUMail and Vindaloo are examples).
I usually make my stuff working on both platforms.

> I'd like to get macromates poeple to try to compil under gnustep their
> excellent text editor called textmates. if only that could work.

This would be really cool. I'm using TextMate on OSX for quite a while now
and it's really a master piece of work.

greets
Stefan

PS: I cc'ed this mail to discuss-gnustep since it is a better place for this
discussion.