Re: NSTemporaryDirectory() && Windows

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSTemporaryDirectory() && Windows
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:55:15 +0200

Marc Brünink wrote:

> However. I think if we use some nasty internal string representation
> there SHOULD be a method to convert it to a nice format. And this
> method shouldn't be an operating system method but a method within
> GNUstep. But perhaps this is just my opinion.

FWIW, I don't share your opinion that we have an obligation to support
converting between a "nasty internal string representation" and the long
version which is only an issue for the Windows platform and therefor
it's absolutely reasonable IMHO to require the operating system specific
method.  Indeed it seems like Apple doesn't much care either.  This is
what is returned in WO for Windows:

NSHomeDirectory(): C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ayers
NSTemporaryDirectory(): C:\DOKUME~1\ayers\LOKALE~1\Temp

But I guess if you supplied a patch to -baseadd's GSCategories (I guess
a category to NSFileManager), I would support it as a convenience method
to ease the pain for cross platform development.

/me wonders what these paths look like from unix-like machine when the
mount the paths via samba and whether there we would be asking for more
trouble in such cases.

Cheers,
David