Re: NSTemporaryDirectory() && Windows

From: Marc Brünink
Subject: Re: NSTemporaryDirectory() && Windows
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:21:12 +0200

On 2005-05-11 12:30:06 +0100 Marc Brünink <mbruen@smartsoft.de> wrote:

2. A method of NSString which converts 8.3 pathnames to long ones.

Again, 'why' ....windows provides one for you, and it would have no use whatsoever outside of the windows environment, so adding it to GNUstep
would be useless bloat.

Because sometimes you need to convert 8.3 too long pathnames. Perhaps you
want to display them  in a nice format or perhaps you want to write  a
configuration file for a third party program (<- I want to do this). Actually
it doesn't matter why some people need this. I just think
stringByStandardizingPath should handle this.

Well, that's an entirely separate issue to NSTemporaryDirectory().
The job of stringByStandardizingPath is to standardize to a consistent format ... I'm not sure whether it should convert windows paths to the longest, most readable format (what you seem to want), or the most portable format (which would do the opposite of what you want), but I think it should probably do one or the other under windows. My first inclination is to say it should do the opposite of what you want ... and try to make the most portable format, but I'm not sure about that, perhaps the lonmg format works everywhere under windows now? Certainly the focus of the method (standardising the path) is on making it usable rather than pretty.

However. I think if we use some nasty internal string representation there SHOULD be a method to convert it to a nice format. And this method shouldn't be an operating system method but a method within GNUstep. But perhaps this is just my opinion.

Long formats are working (probaly) since Windows 98. Take a look at the site posted by Lloyd: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ fileio/fs/getlongpathname.asp

GetLongPathName is supported since Windows 98. So I guess Windows 98 handles the long format correctly. And concerning Windows 95: Sometimes an API should drop support for an operating system release. Particular if the development is discontinued since 6 years.

regards
Marc