Re: Installer UI advices

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:39:44 +0100

At 9:20 Uhr -0600 14.03.2005, Jesse Ross wrote:
Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, or maybe this is impossible
because of different underlying OS's, or maybe there is an easier way, but
can we locate the files we need to link to, get their inode, and use that
as a reference? That way we could move the file around and the links
wouldn't break.

inodes only work on the same drive, IIRC. So you'd have to come with some special file-referencing technology (like Apple's aliases) that encodes some sort or drive-ID, inode ID etc. And AFAIK, inodes are specific to the Linux file system, or at least there seem to be some file systems that don't have inodes.

Finally, most OSs barely support symlinks (e.g. Windows only added those with NT, and from what I heard it's a huge problem because people still want to install GNUstep on pre-NT filesystems).

If we went out and invented our own flavor of symlink, all OSs on which GNUstep runs would have to support them. Okay, all OSs on which we want to support these installers. I guess on Linux/Unix you could really just create a daemon that scans certain special folders and then loads them manually, and then apps would just copy their "GS-Symlinks" there. But that would essentially be the same as just scanning all applications when they are first launched and looking in their bundle folders for the components to load.
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer