Re: Installer UI advices

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:20:19 -0600 (CST)

>   Yes, I fully agree. The self-contained-package-approach is very
> desirable. But due to GNUstep's Linux/Unix underpinnings, there are
> currently pieces of infrastructure in place that require certain
> files to be in certain places.
>
>   Now, imagine we used an "on-launch-installer"-approach as discussed
> in other messages for more complex projects that need this feature:
> It'd install symlinks to the necessary files in those system
> directories, and complex applications could be used like any other
> GNUstep application.
>
>   Admittedly, symlinks are too brittle for this to work in an optimal
> fashion (move the app, and the symlink goes dead), but maybe there  are
> alternatives in Linux or Unix that perform a similar function?

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, or maybe this is impossible
because of different underlying OS's, or maybe there is an easier way, but
can we locate the files we need to link to, get their inode, and use that
as a reference? That way we could move the file around and the links
wouldn't break.

J.