Re: a question about Camaelon

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: a question about Camaelon
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:08:55 +0200

On 2005-02-23 04:43:59 +0200 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

> Le 22 févr. 05, à 17:29, Enrico Sersale a écrit :
>

>> I had some hard coded colors in GWorkspace so now I'm substituting them
>> with system colors to make the app working with Camaelon.
>
> nice :-)
> actually, it's usefull not only with camaelon, but also when you use
> different system colors.. (see color prefs)
>
>> But I'm encountering some problems; Camaelon, in his turn, uses hard coded
>> colors in various places.
>
> just a few ;-) and Camaelon 2 isn't released yet.. I'll clean the remaining
> hard-coded colors before the official release. But...
>
>> [snip]
> .... we also miss a few more system colors; for example, "rowBackgroundColor"
> that we could use in NSTableView/NSOutlineView/NSBrowserView (instead of
> controlBackgroundColor).
>
> The question is, where should we put theses few new colors ? in the system
> color list or in the extended system color list used by NSToolbar ?
>
> I guess it should go in the extended system color list, but at the same time,
> I think it's a bit annoying to have two system color lists.. what do you
> think?

I think that Camaelon should use only system colors. It must be transparent for
the developer. If he write a custom control, he expects that its look is
consistent with all the other elements.
If an extended system color list must exists, it should be in -gui, as a
GNUstep extension, not only in Camaelon.