Re: Look and Feel

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: 21 Feb 2005 01:40:57 GMT

Riccardo <multix@ngi.it> wrote:
> GNUstep made it into slashdot and osnews. We are getting a lot of
> exposure, but we need to learn how handle it. My last experiences in
> this mailing list and in the traditional #gnustep channel are a lot of
> works, no action. I wish I want I would. But this but that but then.
>
> And it is just noise for those who develop really.

There is a slight problem in that the documentation isn't that
plentiful, to convert some of these wordsmiths into productive
developers, but if at least some of them manage to do so,
then hopefully we will get even more docs and it all spirals up.

I read someone earlier refer to this as a developer list. I
think discuss is more of a crossover list, somewhere between
apps-gnustep and gnustep-dev. Sometimes it is just noise for
those who develop. Batten down and wait for the firestorm
to pass. It will pass, hopefully with a positive outcome. The
symbolic "votes" may encourage some developers, but I hope people
start to realise the damage they do to competing projects. When
I chime in against back-art, I do so because it doesn't work
for me, not because I dislike it or want it to stop. Diversity
is good insurance and gives people a bit of freedom to test
out ideas.

List noise is a stress, but necessary if GNUstep is going to
get better known and more can enjoy the great apps that exist
today. I appreciate the hard work put in so far and hope that
current developers continue. It's their choice, and if they
don't, thanks anyway for what's done so far. It makes my time
using a GNU/Linux system better already.

--
MJR/slef
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/