Re: Look and Feel

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:51:31 +0700

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:37:55 +0100, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> The big advantage, supported by research results, of a menu attached to
> a screen edge is, you have to adjust your mouse movement in one
> direction only, in the other direction the screen border is your guide.
>   Horizontal menus on the top border reduce the required accuracy of
> mouse movement even further, because the size of the menu normal to the
> required movement is typically bigger.
>
> This is always an advantage but competes with the need of a possibly
> very long mouse movement on large screens.

This is true for the screen edge but I believe it can be better solved
by seperating toolbar from the window and abut it to the top
screen edge. Toolbar even has more chance to get hit by mouse
than menu in some applications. (eg.
http://maliwan.sourceforge.net/lapis-extra-white.png for the idea, not
the theme) Another benefit is,
it won't break current application's menu layout since you can't just
simply convert vertical menu to horizontal.