Re: RE: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: RE: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: 25 Oct 2004 22:05:50 GMT

"Vaisburd, Haim" <HVaisbur@Advent.COM> wrote:
> What is the current state? In my opinion art can become a default
> only if it can work as a remote X client.

Last I tried, back-art didn't work remotely. When I upgraded one of
the various libraries it uses (maybe freetype?) it stopped working
completely, so I switched to xlib and enabled the antialiasing. That
works remotely but is very slow and a little unpredictable.

I never really had much luck with the art nfonts either.

I may be failing to operate these, though. Clear instructions on how
to get a UTF-8 system which has clear fonts and works remotely would
be appreciated greatly :-)

(And no, I don't have time to track CVS! Release early, release often.)

--
MJR/slef