Re: Compile time options

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Compile time options
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:05:40 -0700

On Mar 10, 2004, at 11:14 PM, Sheldon Gill wrote:
I propose that we separate these "internal behaviour" compile time options from autoconf and put them in per library "options.h" or something similar.
That can be the place to define all sorts of things like compile time
behaviour switches and default names/locations used by the library.
Documentation for each item could then be in-line making it easier to create
and maintain.

Well. The way I read this proposal, is that these options already exist in the libraries, they just happen to be scattered around and are hard to find. Putting them in one place makes it more obvious what kind of internal design decisions were made. I'd have to agree that this would be useful in some way.

I agree though, that this should not affect platform or packaging options - those should all be made via configure - except for options that are overridable via defaults or configure options.

The BACKEND_BUNDLE was probably a bad example, but the other ones are good - basic internal library behavior that a large majority or administrators would not care to change or dictate - i.e. not really worthy of a configure option.