Re: Compile time options

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Compile time options
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:58:29 +0000 (GMT)

> [snip about how to configure GNUstep]
>
> > We do *NOT* need two different and unconnected places to do the same
> > thing.
>
> Agreed.

I agree to stick with standard configure/autoconf for the configuration.

I just don't see the point in building a (complete or partial)
non-standard configuration system only for gnustep-base - we would better
spend that time on our core activity - GNUstep itself.

If configure options are not documented well, the fix is documenting them
better :-)

> The fact that it's in -make is a bit non-obvious. ISTR that there were
> technical reasons (the option has a big effect on how apps are linked),
> but from a quick look, I can't see any now, so it might be possible (but
> maybe not preferable) to move it to -gui.

Yes - it would be nice to move it to gui; the configured preference could
be stored in gui.make.

Hmmm.  Not sure it would work though - back.make would be using
BACKEND_BUNDLE in conditionals (which evaluate the condition immediately),
but BACKEND_BUNDLE would be defined by gui.make ... and unfortunately I
suspect the order in which back.make and gui.make are included in not
guaranteed. :-P

Presumably we could hack gnustep-make in some way so that we force reading
gui.make (or the BACKEND_BUNDLE fragment) before we read back.make.

I'll add investigating this to my long list of gnustep-make todos.