Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:05:00 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, René Berber wrote:

> On 2004-01-20 14:37:11 -0600 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:
>
> >> - GPlayer.app: What MoviePlayer.app was before.
> >
> > I loved everything you said to this point in your email, so don't let this
> > negative comment overshadow the fact that I think the project is great, but
> > do not think we need any more ridiculous GWhatever names. Why append G? Why
> > is that necessary? *MANY* here consider that extremely bad style, and I am
> > in
> > that group. Does the G buy you anything? Does it tell you what the app
> > does?
> > Then why put it there in the first place? Why presume nonportability?
>
> What about G for Gsteamer?
It's just as dumb of a name. My assertion is that we do not need to
replicate others' naming mistakes.

> Stop the dumb remarks.
I'm sorry if you find it dumb, but I do not, and I think that anyone that
thinks truly critically about it will thinkthe whole Gkrap naming
convention is not a very good idea (For the record, I don't have as much
of a problem with applications that *SUBSTITUTE* another letter for
G...simply prepending G, however, is just not a very intelligent thing to
do)