Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:30:57 +0100

Raffael Herzog writes:
> Then I had this great idea: "If it plays any media streams, why not simply
> call it 'MediaPlayer.app' instead of 'MoviePlayer.app'?" But then again,
> this picture appeared before my minds eye: Me standing in front of an army
> of lawyers, from a far distance I could hear the sound of a hammer being
> slammed on a big desk, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer grinning at me
> gloatingly, and myself only being capable of one thought: "How the heck am
> I supposed to ever be able to pay those billions of dollars I've just been
> condemned to?" - And all this just because I wanted to call my open source
> media playing application such that the name reflects what the app does:
> Playing media. Nah, that's not it.
>
> Then I finally came back to my senses and stopped thinking about a name
> for something that currently is nothing more than a proof-of-concept and a
> bunch of ideas, so I simply wrote "GPlayer.app" and pressed the send
> button.

I have  a handy  program that  can be used  to name  applications (and
corporations) while minimizing the risk of a lawsuit:

$ for i in 1 2 3 4 ; do echo `newpassword --no-special`.app ; done
Pgs5nMM8.app
ssnoGnGB.app
EtjIq9wS.app
CRMgW56I.app

Anyway, typical users will  only recognize their applications from the
icon, won't they?

And remeber the naming of programs on IBM systems, like IEFBR14, etc.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't