Re: RFC: Appreciation of .gmodel format (was deprecation)

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: RFC: Appreciation of .gmodel format (was deprecation)
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:40:11 +0100

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
[snip]
> > I believe what Georg Fleischmann wants isn't just a text format, it's a
> > structured, human readable text format.
>
> What about NSKeyedArchiver and NSKeyedUnarchiver?

It looks like they would produce something fairly human-readable (or at
least a lot better than the above example :). OTOH, implementing those
classes is a bit of work, and to get the benefits, you'd have to update
all -encodeWithCoder:/-initWithCoder: implementations, which is a lot of
work.

> Are there any plans to imlpement those classes in GNUstep?

Not that I know of. We should probably add a task for it, and maybe one
for 'support keyed coding in standard classes'. Looks like we'd be stuck
supporting two coding styles forever if we did that, though (and the
basic encode/decode incantations would exist in four copies (which need
to be kept in sync) for each class).

- Alexander Malmberg