Re: GNUstep on MS Windows (Oh boy...i've done it now!)

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows (Oh boy...i've done it now!)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:54:08 +0100

Am 04.12.2003 um 18:16 schrieb Mondragon, Ian:
so if we already have a more applicable form of
cross-platform-ness (linux/bsd -> OS X), without the severe bump in
momentum,

Two reasons for two cases:

MOSX to Linux: Because the Linux market is too tiny to be of interest for most of the Apple companies. Linux to MOSX: I'd say, all of the GS application already have an at least as good alternative on MOSX.

why should we think that a linux/bsd -> windows application would
give us even as much?

Because the Windoze market is about 15 times bigger, than even the MOSX market. Lets make a simple estimation for your program:

Number of Users, buying your program
2% for Linux            equals about 1 unit
2% for MOSX             equals about 8 units
1% for Windows  equals about 50 units

That means a 500% more sellings only by including one more market. If you go to your boss and tell him, he could multiply his revenue by 5 without investing one penny, I don't think he would reject that.

re
Phil